“Is my coffee safe to drink?” “Do I have to worry about mold?” “What about mycotoxins?” “What is a mycotoxin?”
While the consensus among doctors, scientists and coffee roasters is that coffee is good for most people, a delicious and healthy way to boost energy and enjoy cancer-fighting antioxidants, there are those who disagree, claiming that most coffee is full of “mycotoxins” that can make a person weak and ill. Mycotoxins are real, a byproduct of mold and can be quite toxic. Google the word “mycotoxin” and you will pull up dozens of links, many of which refer to coffee. Look closer, though, and you'll also see that most of the coffee-related titles have the word “debunking” in them.
Coffee can get moldy. Anyone who's forgotten to clean out their coffee pot knows that. Green coffee beans can mold as well, but luckily, it's easy to see the mold. Just like you wouldn't buy a moldy orange at the supermarket, coffee importers and roasters refuse to buy moldy beans. Even the cheapest, least impressive coffee available contains a vanishingly small amount of these toxins.
So the short answer is: Yes, your coffee is safe to drink. You don't have to worry about mold or mold-related poisons in your daily cup. You don't need to buy special coffee, or worry about how the beans are processed. Just find the coffee you love and enjoy!
For more information on mold, coffee and mycotoxins, check out these links:
Have any coffee questions? Send them to Ask the Roaster.