It's Halloween, a day full of costumes, spooks and treats. For those of us who are trying to eat less candy, but still want a sweet, Halloween treat, Catie sent us a recipe for her Sweet Roasted Pumpkin Seeds. Yum!
Sweet Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
(a natural recipe for anytime you’re cooking a pumpkin or other hard squash)
Time: About 25 minutes; 5 prep, 20 bake
- Pumpkin Seeds (de-slimed) from one Hokkaido or pie pumpkin (about 1 cup, depending on the size of your pumpkin)
- 1 TB olive oil (to coat seeds, melted butter or coconut oil work well too)
- 1/2 tsp Bright Pumpkin Spice blend
- 1/4 tsp sweetener/sugar of choice (I used coconut blossom sugar, but any granulated sugar works)
1. Turn the oven on to 350 F/180 C (if roasting after cooking a pumpkin or other squash, drop the oven temperature down, but you don't really need to wait for the oven to cool).
2. Place cleaned (de-strung and de-slimed) pumpkin seeds onto a small baking sheet. Coat with oil, stirring them with a spoon to evenly coat all sides of the seeds.
3. Mix the Bright Pumpkin Spice and sugar together and sprinkle over the oil-coated seeds (tapping with a tiny spoon worked well for me). Stir the seeds again to even out the spice/sugar topping.
4. Roast in the over for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 for the most even roasting, but you can also stir once at the 10 minute mid-mark.
5. Remove the seeds from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Enjoy warm (not hot), or at room temperature. Store in an air-tight container. Keeps well for a week.
Do you have a favorite Halloween treat? If so, we'd love to hear about it. Please join the conversation and share your thoughts on the Facebook thread or in a comment on this blog. Or, if you'd like to share your opinions with the wider world, leave us a coffee review on Google or on your favorite review site. Not only do we value your opinions, but reviews help more people find us. Help us connect coffee lovers to fresh, quality coffee!
~ Carrie, Paul and all of us at Coffee by the Roast